With new research showing that nearly half (45 per cent) of all caravan, motorhome and campervan owners have planned for their next 3-4 holidays to be in the UK, with a further 19 percent looking to take up to 5-6 UK-based breaks in the foreseeable future. When asked where they would most like to visit in the UK, the caravan and motorhome community voted the Lake District as their number one go-to destination, closely followed by surfing hotspot Cornwall and in third place, Wales, known for its rugged coastlines and stunning scenery. Devon, the Peak District and the Cotswolds also featured highly on the list in fourth, fifth and sixth place respectively.
MAYDAY and Caravan and Motorhome Club have released handy tips and tricks to ensure holidaymakers are able to enjoy a smooth and problem-free trip this summer.
MAYDAY’s Standout Tips for Staycation Sanity:
- Plan your journey: Plan your route and check for disruptions such as road closures or delays
- Pack PPE: Don’t rely on the campsite’s protective equipment, be sure to take your own sanitiser, masks and gloves to keep yourself and others safe
- Avoid breakdown blunders: Ensure you have sufficient breakdown cover in place when travelling from your locations for minimal disruption to your trip. MAYDAY UK Breakdown Cover has been specifically designed with caravans, motorhome and campervan owners in mind. For more information, please visit camc.com/mayday
- Check oil levels: It may have been a while since you last used your vehicle, check it has sufficient oil before setting off on your journey
- Tyre check: look for any wear and tear and ensure all tyres are filled with the correct amount of pressure
- Electricity: Turn everything on, make sure all your exterior and interior lights and appliances are working as they should be so you can focus on enjoying your time away
- Cleanliness: Lockdown has highlighted the importance of keeping surfaces clean – give your vehicle a thorough wipe down to get rid of any bacteria