Shannon Airport returned for a third year as the headline sponsor of the awards, which welcomed 200 guests to the Shelbourne Hotel in Dublin. Category sponsors on the day were Las Vegas CVA, TAP Portugal, Visit Portugal, Normandy Tourism, United Airlines, Shannon Airport and The Travel Corporation Ireland. Guests were also treated to a drinks receptions, sponsored by Accident & General.
Now in their ninth year, the Travel Media Awards are a highlight of the Irish travel industry calendar, for both media and trade. Alex Gibson and Ed Finn took to the stage for the first time to host the big day and as always, there were plenty of surprises and giveaways.
The Travel Media Awards are the only awards that call on members of the media to vote for their favourite travel companies and fellow media. This year’s awards featured some exciting new categories including Best Long Haul Business Class, Best New Irish Hotel and Best Irish Travel Editor.
Declan Power, Head of Aviation Development, Shannon Airport, said, “We were very excited to return as headline sponsors for the 2019 Travel Media Awards following the success of the past two years. It’s safe to say this year was bigger and better than ever! 2019 has been phenomenal for Shannon Airport so far and we’re looking forward to continuing to grow greatly throughout 2019.”
Commenting on the awards, Michael Collins, MD and Founder of TravelMedia.ie, said, “Thank you so much to everyone who made the 2019 Travel Media Awards such a fun-filled day. I would also like to give a special thanks to our headline sponsor: Shannon Airport and a well-deserved congratulations to each and every one of our winners, in particular Jean Maxwell (ITAA), Lorraine Dunne (ITAA) and Cormac O’Connell (Dublin Airport).”
Find the full winners list below:
- Best Short Haul Airline Europe Winner – Aer Lingus
- Best Long Haul Airline Flying West Winner – Aer Lingus
- Best Long Haul Airline Flying East Winner – Emirates
- Best Long Haul Business Class – Emirates
- Best Luxury Hotel Group – Hastings Hotels
- Best Budget Hotel Group Winner – Clayton Hotels
- Best new Irish Hotel – The Devlin Dublin
- Pleasure to Work with in 2019 award – Jean Maxwell and Lorraine Dunne, ITAA
- Best Cruise Company Winner – Royal Caribbean International
- Best Ferry Company Winner – Stena Line
- Best Canal or River Cruise Company Winner – Uniworld Boutique River Cruises
- Best Car Hire Company Winner – Hertz Ireland
- Best Tour Operator Winner – Sunway Holidays
- Best Local Travel Agency Winner – Cassidy Travel
- Best Ski Operator Winner – Crystal Ski
- Best Travel Insurance Provider Winner – Blue Insurance
- Best City or Short Break Destination Winner – Lisbon
- Best Destination Representative Winner – Tryphavana Cross
- Best Theme Park (Worldwide) Winner – Universal Orlando Resort
- Best Tourist Board or CVB Winner – Tourism NI
- Best Use of Social Media by a Travel Company Operating in the Irish Market Winner – Tour America
- Best Irish Travel Writer (print only) Winner – Pól Ó Conghaile
- Best Irish Travel Blogger Winner – Tom Sweeney, Tom Sweeney’s Travels
- Best Irish Travel Editor Winner – Jim Murty
- Lifetime Achievement Award sponsored by Shannon Airport – Cormac O’Connell, Dublin Airport
All voting was independently audited and managed by TUD.