As coronavirus continues to negatively impact many sectors in the UK, millions of jobs have been lost, which has led to millions of pounds lost across several key industries.
As a result, Reboot Online Marketing Agency has predicted which of the worst hit sectors are likely recover the soonest. After investigating recent Google Trends data, they uncovered the following results:
When will key industries recover in the UK?
- Motor Trades: May 31st, 2020: After analysing the search term ‘car rental’, projections show that the sector with the fastest recovery is the motor trade, estimated to return to normal by May 31st.
- Education: June 21st, 2020: After analysing at the search term ‘maths tutor’, it can be revealed that it is predicted to recover by the 21st of June 2020 – their road to recovery is helped out by schools reopening and lockdown measures being eased.
- Beauty and Cosmetics: June 28th. 2020: It is estimated that the beauty industry will be back to normal interest by the 28th of June 2020, following its significant decrease of interest in May it is calculated the industry will recuperate during summer.
- Leisure and Sport: July 19th, 2020: The leisure and sport industry are estimated to recover by July 19th, 2020. Their biggest decrease in interest was recorded in April, but only three months later they are set to be back on track.
- Tourism: September 10th, 2020: Although the tourism industry not in last place, it is not projected to return to normal interest until September 10th, 2020.
- Hospitality and Events: September 25th, 2020: The projections show that this industry won’t be back to normal any time soon, with an estimated recovery date of September 25th, 2020. However, this could potentially go on for longer as although restaurants may be able to open, big events such as music festivals have been reported by the BBC as ‘difficult to imagine’ until 2021.
Reboot looked at each struggling sector in the UK (due to coronavirus), in order to find each sector’s most searched (and therefore most popular) term among Brits in Google and used that as a representative for each sector, using google AdWords. They then compared the rate of interest from January 1st, 2019 – September 27th, 2019 (September is the limit set by google trends) and then from January 1st, 2020 – May 19th, 2020 for each key search term per sector. Following this, Reboot predicted the fastest recovering sectors by comparing both the search terms across 2019 and 2020 to determine the final predicted recovery date.