Slovenia has been added to the UK government’s green travel list, so here are some top tips on how to make the most out of the destination.
Best Location: the Julian Alps, Mountains Near the Mediterranean
Lake Bohinj and the Julian Alps offer the perfect escape, an idyllic base with great access to all the country’s best sites. This region is just an hour from the country’s capital Ljubljana, and it’s on the ‘sunny side’ of one of Europe’s most famous mountain ranges – the Alps. It is also just under two hours from the mediterranean.
Located at the heart of the mighty Julian Alps, and within Slovenia’s oldest national park, Bohinj is one of the country’s most beautiful and diverse areas. Bohinj encompasses the valley of Nomenj, the Upper and Lower Bohinj Valleys, lake basin, the Pokljuka and Jelovica plateaus and a high mountain range. The European Destinations of Excellence (EDEN) recognised Bohinj as a destination where economic growth aims to ensure social, cultural and environmental sustainability all year round.
Quality Hotels, Prioritising on Green
Bohinj ECO Hotel and Sunrose 7 are two of Slovenia’s greenest accommodations – both are located within Slovenia’s stunning Bohinj region, at the edge of Triglav National Park.
This makes either hotel the perfect option for a late summer break in Bohinj, whether that’s a family-friendly adventure at Bohinj ECO Hotel or a relaxing adult-only digital detox experience at Sunrose 7.
Bohinj ECO Hotel is an award-winning sustainable hotel located in the heart of Slovenia’s Bohinjska Bistrica at the edge of Triglav National Park. The comfortable, modern interior is decorated using local natural materials while offering guests panoramic views of the Julian Alps. On the hotel’s top floor, the exclusive wellness area offers a wide range of relaxing facilities and treatments rooms start at around 120 EUR a night. https://www.bohinj-eco-hotel.si/
Sunrose 7 Hotel – an iconic Slovenian heritage hotel and digital detox hideaway that has been welcoming guests since 1890. There are 18 rooms and suites, with traditional Slovenian architecture meeting contemporary minimalist alpine design. Sunrose 7’s new wellness area is called Zlata Vila (or ‘Golden Fairy’) and focuses on ‘seven elements’ of relaxation rooms start at 190 EUR a night.
Late Summer Holiday Ideas
- Explore the NEW Juliana Bike trail: This summer, Slovenia has unveiled a NEW 280km Juliana Bike mountain biking trail, which circles the stunning Julian Alps, connecting villages, towns, valleys, passes and plateaus along the way. Use the Bohinj ECO Hotel or Sunrose 7 as your base to explore this new trail and be sure to relax and unwind in the exclusive wellness area after a tough couple of days adventuring around the snow-capped peaks of the Julian Alps.
- Explore Sunrose 7’s NEW spa and wellness area: Slovenia’s healing waters have been restoring travellers for centuries, and after what has been a challenging eighteen months for everyone, why not come and enjoy a much-needed wellness break in what is considered one of Europe’s healthiest and most sustainable countries. Spend time in the new Zlata Vila private wellness and spa area, which offers ‘seven elements’ of relaxation, including a carbonised Finnish sauna and relaxing hot tub.
- Enjoy a uniquely Slovenian sustainable spa break: Slovenia’s healing waters have been restoring travellers for centuries, and after what has been a challenging eighteen months for everyone, why not come and enjoy a much-needed wellness break in what is considered one of Europe’s healthiest and most sustainable countries. Luxuriate in the hotel’s exclusive wellness area, spend time exploring Bohinj’s stunning natural landscapes and bed down in sustainable luxury courtesy of the Bohinj ECO Hotel. Go on, you deserve it!
- Discover the European Region of Gastronomy 2021: Slovenia has established a reputation as one of Europe’s most exciting new culinary destinations, particularly for the emphasis on garden-to-table dining. Indulge in Sunrose 7’s own unique culinary experience, which includes a two-hour, four-course gourmet dinner made using the finest Slovenian produce with a premium wine pairing – all to be enjoyed on the riverside terrace setting.
- Biking in the land of Europe’s new cycling superstars: The ongoing success of Slovenia’s cyclists at high profile races such as the Tour de France means Slovenia is now fully in the global spotlight. Explore the cycling trails available from the doorstep of the Bohinj ECO Hotel or Sunrose 7, whether that’s relaxed pedaling around beautiful Lake Bohinj or enjoying a themed Bohinj cheese tour. E-bikes are a great way to explore the mighty Julian Alps without needing the fitness levels of superstars like Roglic and Pogacar!
- Juliana Hiking Trail -All the Beauty of the Julian Alps: The much-awaited new circular hiking trail on the brinks of the Julian Alps, the Juliana Trail, will be officially opened at the end of September 2019. This marked and regulated trail will take you around the highest mountain of the Julian Alps, Triglav, which is also the highest mountain in Slovenia. Along the trail, you will be able to admire Triglav from all sides. And explore all its diverse faces. Triglav, which is right at the heart of the Juliana Trail, holds a special place and meaning in the hearts of Slovenians, because it is the national symbol.