The days of buying your dad funky socks and silk ties are a thing of the past with many increasingly opting for a present of a genuine adventure, tantalising the taste buds or learning a new skill.
With this Father’s Day on Sunday 21st June 2020 presenting a particular challenge during the pandemic, the team at Tourism Northern Ireland have collated a range of exciting local gifts, experiences vouchers for when it is safe to enjoy and treats to celebrate in style on this special day.
To help you find that perfect gift that matches your dad’s personality, browse the list below to help you hit the ball out of the park this Father’s Day, showing the old man he’s the best:
- Take your Dad ‘Off the Eaten Track’ in Belfast: Taste & Tour NI will take you on a culinary adventure around Belfast’s thriving food and drink scene. Choose from a Whiskey Walk or Gin Jaunt to experience the best bars the city has to offer or if your Dad is a food lover the award-winning four-hour Food Tour can’t be missed. It starts in the historic St George’s Market, meeting producers, world-class shops and finishes in a top restaurant in the Cathedral Quarter. Buy a voucher for a future tour. Prices start from £57.
- Archery experience at Winterfell Castle, County Down: A replica of the Winterfell Castle archery range set has been recreated in the Winterfell Castle courtyard where the filming for Game of Thrones® originally took place and this is the perfect gift if your dad is a fan. Winterfell Castle & Demesne is located in the heart of County Down and visitors can dress up in character costumes, tour the set, and fire a few arrows in a way that Ned Stark would be proud of. Prices start from £32.50 per person and there are a number of packages to choose from, when it is safe to visit (Vouchers available).
- Bladesmithing at Hot Milk Forge, County Antrim: Based in the Glens Of Antrim, Hot Milk Forge offer day and weekend classes in Blacksmithing with an artistic twist. You will shape your own blade using a traditional forge and anvil, as well as learning the basic skills of bladesmithing. Weld with a fire at hot milk forge not with electricity. Imagine making your own fire side set, wrought iron gate, gifts for your partner, sculpture….the list goes on. Price: £90 per person (full day class), vouchers available for future classes.
- Guided fishing lesson in Portrush – sail at sunrise to catch your own breakfast: For dads who want to stretch their sea legs this is the perfect present as you will set sail from Portrush Harbour into the rising sun over The Mull of Kintyre and Rathlin Island. Heading towards the Skerries and Dunluce Castle, you’ll receive a bit of historical knowledge of the area while fishing. Where better to take your catch, then to one of our welcoming local chefs? They are ready and waiting to lay out a home-cooked breakfast to match your appetite – with, of course, your fish as the centrepiece. Price: £65 per person, £35 per child (aged 6-16), vouchers available from Catch and Sea.
- Get Active with Dad: If you have a really adventurous Dad take him to We Are Vertigo in Belfast, where he can try his hand on the ski slopes, indoor skydiving, wall climbing or trampolining or to really test his abilities visit Todds Leap in Ballygawley, County Tyrone where he can choose from a whole host of fun things to do including archery, clay pigeon shooting and a rodeo bull! Vouchers available.
- A foodie feast to your door from Indie Füde, County Down: Indie Füde, based in Comber, County Down is a foodie’s paradise. Stocking the very best in everything independent and local, a Father’s Day bundle from Indie Füde is a top gift to give any dad who loves to cook and enjoys award-winning ingredients from across Northern Ireland. Johnny and Laura from Indie Füde, have curated each bundle to perfection including Dad’s Breakfast Box, Dad’s Steak Dinner and Dad’s Cheese and Charcuterie Boards. Bundles start at £18.95.
- Enjoy wine from around the world with a JN Wine delivery: For the wine connoisseur in your life, JN Wine supplies a treasure trove of wines that dad is sure to enjoy. With over 40 years of knowledge, James Nicholson is a trusted expert in the wine scene and is dedicated to bringing the best the world has to offer to wine lovers far and wide. Whether dad is a red or white wine drinker, there is an incredible selection to pick from and you’ll never go wrong with James Nicholson’s recommendations listed on the website. Buy a voucher or a selection of wines to be delivered to your doorstep.
- A culinary experience with Belfast Cookery School: Why not make some memories as a family and enjoy a class with the Belfast Cookery School. Fun and educational for all ages and abilities, each class will awaken your passion for cooking and teach you how to become a master in your own kitchen. Purchase a gift voucher, redeemable against any class and allows you to choose the best date, time and cuisine, when it is safe to do so.
- Strangford Lough Activity Centre, County Down: Located on the breath-taking shores of Strangford Lough, the Strangford Lough Activity Centre is a mobile activity provider offering opportunities to enjoy Northern Ireland’s natural beautiful. For the dad who loves a little adventure, water activities such as kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding (SUP) are great gift ideas for exploring nature.
- A chauffeur boat experience on Lough Erne, County Fermanagh: Take to the water to explore the beautiful lake lands and history of Lough Erne in County Fermanagh. You can travel in the comfort of a covered boat with the Erne Taxi’s chauffeur. Starting from Enniskillen, Ireland’s only island town, the chauffeur will choose the route, based on the knowledge of Lough Erne’s changing currents, seasons and movements of wildlife. As you travel, your chauffeur will show you and your dad secretive creatures such as kingfishers, and intrigue you with poignant stories of the now largely uninhabited islands, from the Bronze Age to the 1980s.
- Enjoy a tipple from the Armagh Cider Company: The apples used for Armagh Cider Company’s refreshing cider are grown on a home farm at Ballinteggart, where orchards have been nurtured for over 100 years. Put together a hamper of artisan and handcrafted ciders for dad to enjoy or get a voucher for a tour when it reopens.
- A fresh cold beer from the Walled City Brewery, County Derry~Londonderry: If you are lucky enough to be on the doorstep of the Walled City Brewery, Gee’s Wineshop is offering a selection of Walled City Brewery beers, fresh from their brewery tap. Bring your Dad a cold one, ordering by midnight on Thursday and Friday for next day delivery.
To explore much more in Northern Ireland, go to discovernorthernireland.com or follow Discover NI on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.