Thanks to the natural resources of its ecosystem and climate, the Canary Island offers a wide range of therapies and activities aimed at physical, emotional and psychological well-being.
Now when we finally leave behind a strenuous year in which stress and anxiety levels have multiplied exponentially in the wake of the pandemic, we must renew our physical and mental energy in order to regain the peace and serenity that we have missed so much. During the months of confinement and restrictions, we have been forced to adapt our routines and abandon certain habits oriented towards personal well-being in favour of caring for our loved ones and other unexpected commitments.
Instead, 2021 has dawned with a new colour and, after such an exhausting year, we need to disconnect from the new routine to pamper and recover our physical and mental state. From a nearby paradise rich in natural resources such as seaweed, volcanic stones or sea water, Tenerife has everything you need to enjoy experiences in which disconnection, relaxation and personal care are the absolute priority. Without any doubt, Tenerife Health Destination offers one of the best ways to start the new year, thanks to a complete selection of therapeutic and revitalising activities to recover our inner self:
- Algotherapy. An auto-therapy massage with the island’s native seaweed is one of the best options for relaxation and well-being. Thanks to the richness and variety of seaweed on the seabed of Tenerife, its beaches offer the possibility of practicing a simple algotherapy technique based on its application to the skin and subsequent massage. The effects of toning, cleaning and cell regeneration are immediate.
- Aloe Therapy. The infinite properties of this plant have been one of the greatest revolutions in the world of beauty and cosmetics. Aloe Vera, native to the Canary Islands, can be used in a cream, soap or even a gel. Its soothing, healing and regenerative properties are some of the reasons why it is considered the jewel in the crown: relief for burnt skin and a perfect palliative for the effects of varicose veins and wrinkles.
- Thalassotherapy. The basis of this method is the use of the sea and the climate as a therapeutic agent and the key is found in the natural elements of the marine ecosystem. Discover a new spa concept based on three components on Tenerife’s many beaches:
- a) Sea. The island allows you to enjoy more than 400 km of coastline and beaches. The salinity of the water (36%) and its temperature (21ºC) make this option a real pleasure: it relieves respiratory tension, oxygenates the blood and stimulates circulation, and reduces skin problems by relaxing and cleaning impurities. Furthermore, it also offers the opportunity to swim and exercise the body in a dream environment.
- b) Climate. With an average temperature of 22ºC and more than 3,000 hours of light per year, Tenerife is the national paradise par excellence and, precisely, these variables positively affect the state of mind, balancing the nervous system, revitalizing the skin and improving depressive states.
- c) Sand. The origin of the sand on Tenerife’s beaches is volcanic, so they are perfect for a 100% natural peeling. The basic technique consists of taking wet sand, applying it to the body in circles to exfoliate impurities and leaving it in the sun before removing it with the help of water, so you will feel how the quality of your skin improves.
- Volcanic stones. The soft texture of the island’s volcanic and native stones is perfect for turning these rocks into another element for massages which, among other benefits, eliminate tension and provide serenity. You can also try the hot stone variant, applying them carefully to energy points in your body as a measure of physical and mental balance. In this way, you will end stress, avoid back pain and help relax your muscles.
- Wine therapy. Another proof of the incredible variety of grapes offered by the volcanic soil and the weather conditions of the local wine of Tenerife. Although delighting in their taste is their main purpose, applying them as a massage or treatment is also a remarkable option thanks to their anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Tropical fruit therapy. As in wine therapy, the climate and the volcanic soil make the local products unique (avocados, bananas, mangos…), because in addition to being exquisite, they have an infinite number of healthy properties. Among them, we find vitamin C, a source of fibre and antioxidants to eliminate excess liquids; or the facial peeling based on banana, mango or pineapple, other stars of this therapy.
In addition to this selection of natural therapies, as a top-level health tourism destination, Tenerife also has companies specialising in mindfulness, yoga or Chi Kung programmes, such as MBestcare; and other types of facilities geared towards well-being and beauty, such as Spawellplus, a set of ten spas inspired by the philosophy of feng-shui and located in emblematic hotels on the island. Finally, the Océano Health Spa Hotel has reopened, one of the island’s hotels that holds the Premium Quality Hotel award in the Health & Spa category. This and much more is what Tenerife has prepared for you in this 2021.
2020 has been a strange one, with many of spring and summer travel plans failing, being victim to lockdown and travel restrictions imposed by our source markets. Now it is time to fix this and fit in a bit of excitement with some fantastic pleasures in Tenerife. Gone is the stress, the worry and the uncertainty. As you sit by the sea with the murmur of the waves washing over you, you soak in the rays of Tenerife’s warm morning sun. A gentle breeze caresses your cheeks, making you close your eyes to capture that moment and make it last. You can barely remember how long it was since you felt so good. Book you flights to Tenerife and get ready for a year-round gem.