Bikepacking, a mixed terrain cycling holiday over several days has exploded in popularity on TikTok with nearly 150 million views1.
In addition to this, Google searches for ‘bikepacking essentials’ have increased by +5,000% in the past 30 days.
Researching the best bikepacking routes in Europe, online travel agent loveholidays can reveal the best bikepacking destinations this summer.
The index highlights the top 30 European countries perfect for bikepacking. The countries were ranked based on the number of mountain biking trails, coastline length (km), number of national parks, and highest elevation (m).
Looking at the ranking, the top 10 countries are:
|Rank||Country||Highest Point||Highest Elevation (M)||Number of National Parks||Coastline Length (KM)||Number of Biking Trails||Total Score|
Norway ranks as the best bikepacking hotspot in Europe, boasting the longest coastline (25148 kilometres), and national parks (47), with 146 biking trails. The tallest point is Galdhøpiggen, which measures 2,469 metres over sea levels.
Second place goes to Germany, and third place on the index is Italy, while Switzerland and France make up the remaining countries of the top five bikepacking hotspots in Europe.
The best travel packing hacks on TikTok for bikepacking
To gather the data, loveholidays scoured TikTok for posts that included popular hashtags like #packinghacks, #traveltips and #luggagehacks. The posts were then sorted by the number of views, likes, and shares, to identify the most popular packing hacks.
Here are the top 5 most popular travel and luggage packing hacks on TikTok:
- Roll your clothes instead of folding them – 24,000+ posts: This hack involves rolling your clothes to save space and prevent wrinkles. It’s a popular method because it allows you to fit more items in your bag and creates more space for bulkier items.
- Use packing cubes to organise your clothes – 18,900+ post: Packing cubes are small fabric bags that allow you to separate and organize your clothes by category, making it easier to find what you need.
- Pack outfits in separate Ziploc bags – 12,000+ posts: This hack involves packing each outfit in a separate Ziploc bag. It not only keeps your clothes organized but also helps you plan your outfits in advance, saving you time and hassle on your trip.
- Use a shower cap to cover the bottom of your shoes – 11,300+ posts: To protect the rest of your clothes from the dirt and grime on the soles of your shoes, place a shower cap over the bottom of each shoe before packing them.
- Pack a reusable tote bag for dirty laundry – 1000+ posts: This hack suggests packing a reusable tote bag or plastic bag for storing dirty laundry during your trip. By keeping your dirty clothes separate from your clean ones, you can stay organized and prevent odours from spreading to your other clothing.
Commenting on the research, Al Murray, Chief Marketing Officer, at loveholidays, says: “Our ranking of Europe’s bikepacking hotspots is the perfect place to start if you’re looking for your next adventure. Whether you prefer leisurely bikeride or cycling for many, many miles to experience as much as possible, our ranking makes it easy to choose the right European destination for you.”
To find out more about loveholidays, please visit: https://www.loveholidays.com/